A Final Reflection

Written by Serena Khan

As I sit down to write this final reflection for my blog, I’m overwhelmed with gratitude and a bit of disbelief. Studying abroad through Georgia Tech-Europe has, without a doubt, been the best decision of my college career. This journey has most definitely been a deep dive into personal growth and cultural immersion. I can now leave knowing I have made lifelong friends whom I can truly call family.

**Academic and Personal Growth**

This semester abroad challenged me academically in ways I hadn’t anticipated. I took five courses, four of which, though not directly contributing to my major, enriched my knowledge profoundly. From learning how to document my travels in a Creative Writing class to understanding the fundamentals of building a startup in the Startup Lab, each class pushed the boundaries of my usual curriculum back home.

Among these, my favorite class was French 1001 with Professor Sonia Serafin. Professor Serafin is an eccentric and caring teacher who goes beyond the textbook to engage with her students. She strives to ensure that everyone not only learns French but also enjoys the learning process. Her class was instrumental in helping us master the basics needed for getting around in French-speaking regions, and she was always willing to help students achieve good grades, as long as they showed effort and care.

Despite these enriching experiences, one area I struggled with was time management. Balancing coursework, blog writing, and travel proved more challenging than expected. This struggle has taught me valuable lessons about prioritizing and managing my time—a skill I aim to hone as I move forward from this experience.

**Navigating Social Dynamics**

Traveling with peers from various backgrounds tested and strengthened my interpersonal skills, particularly patience. Learning to travel with people whom I might not always agree with taught me the importance of compromise and flexibility. These situations, where it was easy to become frustrated, instead taught me to remain optimistic and seek solutions collaboratively.

**Cultural and Social Insights**

Traveling without the security of my family taught me to be more vigilant and resourceful, and it pushed me out of my comfort zone on numerous occasions (like when I lost my phone in Munich…). The ability to navigate foreign cities, deal with unexpected situations, and communicate across language barriers has given me a new level of independence and confidence.

The people I met have turned into lifelong friends who now feel more like family. These relationships have been one of the most rewarding aspects of my study abroad experience. Whether sharing a meal, exploring a new city, or simply studying together, these moments of connection have made my study abroad journey that much more special.

Some of my favorite places from this semester were Amsterdam, Lisbon, Capri, Rome, and Madrid. Each place gave me unique experiences and beautiful scenery. One of my most cherished memories was a pasta-making class in Rome. This unforgettable four-hour session taught us how to craft pasta from scratch and prepare tiramisu. It brought me so much closer to my friends, and the joy and laughter we shared during this experience will stay with me forever. Another memorable moment occurred when I accompanied my friends to a local piercer in Rome. It was a day filled with excitement and a bit of nervous anticipation as one friend decided to get a nose piercing, and another opted for his ears to be pierced. Sharing in their experience and seeing their reactions was so exciting and also emblematic of the adventurous spirit that defined our time together abroad.

**Lisbon and Lifelong Friendships**

A pivotal moment in my journey was an early trip to Lisbon with two friends, who I now call my sisters <3. This trip was one of our first experiences just as a trio, and it cemented our bond together. From then on, we were nearly inseparable on every group trip, always the closest and gravitating towards each other. The laughs we shared and the memories we created in Lisbon and beyond are irreplaceable. I consider these friends family now, and I am eternally grateful for their presence in my life.

**Balancing Academics and Adventures**

Most of my coursework was completed during long train rides across Europe which is a demonstration of the unique challenges of balancing academics with exploration.

These moments, spent writing papers with scenic landscapes whisking by, were unexpectedly beautiful and vastly productive. They taught me that the beauty of study abroad lies in the integration of learning with living.

One of the best pieces of advice I can offer future students is to focus on time management. Even though I was fortunate to have less rigorous classes, I know that students in engineering or computer science face more challenging coursework. Using travel time, like long train rides, for studying or completing assignments was a tactic many of my friends employed successfully. Additionally, forming study groups helps hold each other accountable and allows for shared learning. Everyone wants to enjoy their travels without the heavy weight of schoolwork hanging over them, so staying on top of assignments is crucial.

Another valuable piece of advice is to remain flexible and adaptable. Things won’t always go as planned, whether in academics or travel, but keeping a positive outlook and going with the flow can turn potential disappointments into unexpected adventures.

**Overcoming Comparison**

An important lesson I learned was how comparison can steal joy. Not every trip or experience could be shared with everyone, and sometimes I had to make sacrifices due to family commitments or time-constraints. It was crucial to remember not to let these missed opportunities overshadow the wonderful experiences I did have. Gratitude was key in maintaining a positive outlook and fully appreciating my own unique journey, without comparing it to others’.

**Future Aspirations and Gratitude**

This isn’t the last time I’ll be abroad. The experiences here have ignited a passion for international travel and work that I’m eager to explore further. I am incredibly thankful for this opportunity—every challenge, every new friend, every unexpected adventure has contributed to a semester of immense growth and gratitude.

**Conclusion**

Though I initially regretted that this semester would extend my college career, I no longer view it as a setback but as a unique opportunity that has broadened my perspectives and enhanced my academic journey. As I look ahead, I’m excited to continue my writing and apply the invaluable lessons I’ve learned.

To everyone who has followed this blog, thank you for sharing this journey with me. If anyone reading ever has any questions about study abroad or college in general, feel free to ask me at skhan408@nullgatech.edu!