Spring is in Full Bloom!

Monday, April 11, 2022 | Written by Claire

Warmth. As the sun began to filter through the trees, the first signs of Spring emerged as tiny flower buds nestled within the greening grass and started peeking out from the crackly tree branches. In Metz and across Europe, a myriad of colors began to paint the cold, bleak canvas left by winter. 

Amsterdam

One of the best places you should visit if you’re headed to Amsterdam is the Keukenhof Tulip Fields. It has several hectares of flowers of all different colors and varieties, whether they’re tulips or different species. The beautiful design of the garden itself creates a great environment that accentuates the color of the flower themselves. The placement and pairing of colors create an artwork along the ground. It was a shame that we went slightly too early as many of the flowers had not bloomed but if you go any time in late April or May, that’s when you’ll see the best of Keukenhof. 

Bonn

This glorious stretch of cherry blossom was just a random find when we visited Bonn, Germany. 

It was a random residential street around the city center, surrounded by small local businesses and restaurants. The blossoms were in full bloom, casting a pink hue across the street. As a breeze floated through the streets, some of the petals would fall from the trees, floating through the air in swirls. It was as if I were in a real-life anime scene. If you ever stop by the region, look up Cherry Blossom in Bonn on Apple Maps and you’ll find yourself a gorgeous view, perfect for the gram.

No matter where you visit next, as Spring arrives, there will be so many opportunities to see the beauties of nature around every corner. While the semester draws to a close, there are so many things that may stress you out: finals, thoughts of moving back, or catching up in your classes. I, myself, have also been extremely stressed with many things in life that are outside my control, including things with my own health that have prevented me from enjoying the last month at GTL. While the GTL staff has been more than accommodating with my needs, I just want to head into the last 2 weeks at GTL on a positive note, and with the weather much nicer and everyone in good spirits, I hope to continue heading in the right direction to end this semester strong, not just for myself but also for my friends and family. These flowers have been a reminder of how great life is and I should just enjoy what is left to one of the best chapters I’ve ever had in my life.