Making Friends

Written by Serena Khan

Diving into Georgia Tech-Europe was like stepping onto a rollercoaster blindfolded with not a single clue who’d be riding with me. I began my journey of finding my people by joining a GroupMe chat ahead of time, trying to see if I could make some connections before actually getting to Metz. Nonetheless, it still felt like I would be walking into a party where everyone’s already paired off into their cliques. I assumed everyone had already found their people which was nerve-racking to say the least.

In a last-minute “what have I got to lose” moment, I started DMing girls on GroupMe who seemed like they’d be down to earth. When I got to the airport to catch the shuttle to Metz, catching sight of other students made me realize most of us were going through the same thing — all of us bound for the same adventure. Bonding happened in the blink of an eye with a couple of girls on our way to Metz, making me feel like maybe I wasn’t in this totally solo. It was just the start, but that spark of hope felt really good.

These past few weeks in Metz have been nothing short of a blast. I now have myself an amazing group of friends that’s all about those uncontrollable laughs and making memories that’ll stick around way longer than any souvenir. This journey without them wouldn’t be the same. The time with them is flying by way too fast, and I’m here trying to live it up as much as I can.

To anyone even half-thinking about studying abroad: just dive in. Once you land, throw yourself into every single event GTE throws your way. Welcome bash, art classes, you name it—each one is a golden ticket to stepping out of that comfort zone and really soaking in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity while you’re not spending your weekends traveling.

Feeling jittery about finding your people? I get it. But, surprise, surprise—it turns out connecting with others in a new setting isn’t as tough as it seems. Keeping an open mind and saying ‘yes’ a lot can make a world of difference. Before you know it, the globe feels just a tad smaller, and you’ve found a new family. As my own chapter here is already flying by, I’m just super thankful for the friendships and bonds I have already created. They’ve turned every day and every memory into something monumental.